Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Music Is Rediscovered

After listening to Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart for my music appreciation class I realized that I have heard this piece many times growing up in my home.  But today there was something different. When I listened to this piece of music today, it was as if it were the most beautiful piece of music ever written.  I have found that when I learn something new about a piece of music and then turn that CD on to hear it again, the music becomes increasingly beautiful; more stirring than ever.  That is the value of learning how music is structured and the history of what was going on when the music was being written.  The power the music has to communicate is stronger than ever because we have a background of what the composer of that music is saying through his music.  

"Voices, instruments, and all possible sounds--even silence itself--must tend toward one goal, which is expression."  --C.W. Gluck

2 comments:

Krista said...

I agree. This song is beautiful, and until more recently I never had near enough appreciation for the classical music that filled our home growing up! What a cool class to take Jas! I LOVEYOUILO VE YOUI LOVEYOUILOV E YOU

shauna said...

I love that song too. I am trying to play more classical stuff so my kids have exposure to it. I love classical music! Unfortunately it's all Daddy's Ozzy, ACDC, and Metallica that is sticking in their little heads. Although, Rafe lip synching to the first part of Crazy Train is pretty hilarious.